Howto: Login as “Other” User from Login Screen | Login Options | Ubuntu 13.10 | Ubuntu 12.10 | Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin

Hello,

You can use this same How to for Ubuntu 13.10 / Ubuntu 13.04 / Ubunty 12.10 / Ubuntu 12.04.

For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr Visit this link :- http://wp.me/pAJ1o-LL

This post will helps you to Login as root from GUI  or Login as any Other User from Network (i.e. LDAP ) from Login Screen on 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin.

This Howto will show you to Login as Other User from Login Screen on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin.

Just Few Days Back I have written Howto for Login as root from GUI and Just came to see from Comments that there is no “other” Option on login screen for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin.

I have received many comments to write Howto On the same as i have found it on the next day but i was busy so unable to publish How to on the same topic.

If you are unable to see “OTHER” Option on Login Screen on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Please Perform following steps to do the trick :-

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1) You have to be root to perform this how-to.
If you are not root then be root by executing following command :-
ubuntu-12.04lts@tejas-barot-linux-ahmedabad:~$ sudo su – ( Single Hyphen )

2) First of all Please take backup of original file, execute following command :-
root@tejas-barot-linux-ahmedabad:~# cp -p /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.orig

3) Execute Following command :-

root@tejas-barot-linux-ahmedabad:~#/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -m true
root@tejas-barot-linux-ahmedabad:~#/etc/init.d/lightdm restart

3) OPTIONAL :-  If Above command does not work than you can do the same thing By Editing /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf using Different Editors like below :-

Method Using Nano Editor :-

You can also use “nano” Editor to edit the file, If you are not editing as root then As Privileged User execute “sudo /usr/bin/nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
And Make changes as i mentioned below and Press “CTRL + O” and Hit Enter and then “CTRL + X”

root@tejas-barot-linux-ahmedabad:~# vi /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

4)Now Please enter following line to [SeatDefaults] Selection:-

greeter-show-manual-login=true

For Example your /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf should look like below :-
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=ubuntu
greeter-show-manual-login=true

Now Save and Exit from file. ( ESC and :wq ).

UPDATED :- Some User face issues in “vi” editor and they are unable to edit file using vi so as per their comment i would suggest you to try following methods if you are familiar with “vi” editor.

As Per Girija :- Use Graphical Text Editor (gedit), If you are not editing as root then As Privileged User execute “sudo /usr/bin/gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf”
And make changes i mentioned above and save and exit from file.

5) Now reboot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin, You will able to see “OTHER” Or Login window which asks for Username and Password on Login screen/Window.

SPANISH Version of the same post is available at :- http://www.ubuntu-es.org/node/167983 Thanks to Vicram for Translation.

If you want to Login as a root from GUI then click on this link :- http://www.tejasbarot.com/2012/04/28/login-as-a-root-from-gui-ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin/

Hope this will helps you all.

If this works for your then Please Click Google +1 Button and Show Your Support. Your Support will encourage me to write more articles.

All Linux User’s Blog Mobile Applications :- http://www.tejasbarot.com/download-mobile-apps/

Enjoy Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin :) Enjoy Ubuntu  :) Enjoy Open Source :) Enjoy Linux :)

Content Protection by DMCA.com

-->

28 Comments »

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello,

You are able to Login into system using CLT+ALT+F2-F6 ?

• A N Majumdar says:

I was using 10.04 (lucid) till recently and on 3.10.2013 I upgraded to 12.04. First there was a problem with networking which was fixed after hectic search for solutions on the web. Next, to solve the problem of root login through GUI
    I edited lightdm.conf file by adding this line:
    “greeter-show-manual-login=true” and rebooted.

Now the login screen is FROZEN; it does not respond to any mouseclicks or the keyboard. As a result I cannot login to any user account and I AM LOCKED OUT OF UBUNTU!

Is there any way to undo the blunder?

• Chase says:

Piece of cake! Thanks a lot !

• Raghu says:

Thanks Tejas. I just upgraded from 11.04 and “Other” was missing. My userid is below 1000 (relics of using Fedora from years back) and it does not show up normally.

• G. Campbell says:

Thanks, it worked as is for me.

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello,

I don’t feel its risky, But There are some users who is known to create objections. That is the reason.

• Roshan says:

Why do you say to do it at your own risk….Is it not safe to do it. I am a noob to linux.

• Don Tirrell says:

Hi,

This is what I saw with my US EN rev, I set up Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a VMWare image and after applying the noted changes and doing a restart via terminal (/etc/init.d/lightdm restart) – for me the issue that occurred was a blank theme screen – I waited a bit since I was remote and then did a force reboot – on restart Ubuntu complained of a software error and couldn’t report so with another report told it was due to a recent software update (which could be true) – anyway verified the settings using nano and then logged out (I had auto login for admin set) – between my Admin User & Guest is Login– after logging in as root, the user guest is listed (not root or sys admin) but opening terminal shows me as root… so perhaps best would be to just server reboot (not use the lightdm restart), bottom line the workaround works but appears gui root login is being phased away…

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello,

No Permission change required, Its risky but if you are okay with it then no problem.

• Bernie says:

Thanks, from a Linux newbie.
    Need to change some permissions and couldn’t fine any other way less going in as root.

• Tejas Barot says:

Girija,

Sorry to say but edited as it will duplicate the content but i will sure update your experience in post.

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello Girija,

To Make it appear i have to approve comment. and after that it will appear. I will approve your comment just now but Sorry to say that i have to edit your comment as it will duplicate content but i will update in post.

• Girija Mahapatra says:

I POSTED THE PROCEDURE IN DETAIL WHICH ENABLED ME TO LOGIN AS ROOT FROM LOGIN SCREEN ON LAST SATURDAY NIGHT HERE. THE POST WAS INITIALLY VISIBLE, BUT NOW IT DOES NOT APPEAR.

• Jared says:

I don’t understand why you need to always be root, just sudo bash and your root for the whole command line session and its safer, what else do you need? Its better to just leave that root account locked.

• Girija Mahapatra says:

ADOPT THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks Tejas Barot for providing the trick. Now I am able to login as root in my existing 12.04 LTS latest release. However, I adopted a little different comands.

I WILL BE REALLY THANKFUL TO Tejas Barot. ALL CREDIT GOES TO HIM.

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello Girija,

Calm Down 🙂

This trick is working for many peoples as they have commented too, Its possible that incompatibility of Some Hardware or Graphic.

There is no doubt there are bugs in 12.04….

• Girija Mahapatra says:

I MUST SAY THAT THE UBUNTU DEVELOPERS COMMITTED A GREATEST BLUNDER BY NOT ADDING SUCH AN USEFUL STUFF LIKE ROOT LOG-IN. THIS IS THE CAUSE FOR WHICH I LEFT FEDORA 14 AND SWITCHED TO UBUNTU 11.4, 1.10.

IT IS BETTER TO SWITCH BACK TO 11.10, IF THE ROOT LOG IN COULD NOT BE ENABLED SOONER.

• Girija Mahapatra says:

Sorry Sir, The procedure did not work for me. Firstly I could not be able to edit the .confg file through vi as root. The I took the help of sudo gedit as normal user and edited it. After logging out I could not be able to log in again. System hanged showing “You are running in low graphic mode”. Then the desktop did not respond any thing. I have to reinstall the o.s. again and again thrice. I failed on each Occasion. Probable the newest version of ubuntu 12.04 LTS (uploaded on 23.04.2012) have disabled any sort of addition to light dm..

WELCOME ANY SOLUTION.

• Teh suu says:

Thanks, really hate it if essential stuff like this is gone without documentation. Shouldn’t have upgraded to 12.04, regretting it more and more,… No wonder why people jump to Arch

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello,

Have you rebooted ? or restarted lightdm service ??? and Yes, There will not be any Other Selection If you press UP/DOWN Arrow keys it will take you to Text Box which asks you for “Username”

Hope it helps you.

• Kevin Graham says:

I enabled in lightdm.conf as shown below. However all I see at login is my username and Guest. I do not see OTHER.

[SeatDefaults]
    user-session=ubuntu
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    greeter-show-manual-login=true

• Tejas Barot says:

Thanks for Translation Vicram.

• Vicram says:

I think you might like to know that your “trick” has fixed something else.

Before it, I loged in as root with “gksudo nautilus” and I could only see
    the personal folder and a lonesome desktop icon inside.
    After it, all the other folders are back again: Downloads, Music, Pictures..

I must say I’ve been having problems with Nautilus since I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS,and I think this is all related somehow cause Nautilus crashes most times when loged in as root, either from gksudo or from the loginscreen.
    I understand pangolin is brand new and many things have to be fixed yet, so
    I’ll wait sometime & see what happens…
    Thanks again!

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello Scott,

nano – Another Editor from shell prompt.

If you need complete gui editing then you should try following :-

sudo /usr/bin/gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Hope this helps

• Tejas Barot says:

Sure Vicram and That would be great if you share link with me too. Thanks.

• Vicram says:

Hi! This worked for me, it’s fixed now. Thanks so much,I really appreciate your help. I don’t use google+, but if you don’t mind I would like to translate this post into spanish to spread the word in other blogs I usually visit, giving credit to you, of course, and linking to your blog 🙂

• Scott says:

Hello I cant seem to get this working at all, once i open the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf I am left with a screen showing what you have put up

SeatDefaults]
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    user-session=ubuntu

But I can in no way make any head way in to editing it at all, im logged in as root but cant put the line greeter-show-manual-login=true
    As I cant return to edit aline, when i start typing, all kinda of crazy stuff comes up. Could you give a clear way of inputting this line in.
    PS I hate terminal, with a passion.

• Lim Chun Teck says:

Thank you so much. Have been trying to enable this for several days but unable to find the right option to enable.