Howto: Login as a root from GUI on Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle

Hi Friends,

Fedora 17  released and I am posting solution for root lovers who like to login with root. Fedora 17 root login is exactly same like Fedora 10 root login.

WARNING :- Its not at all good to login as root from GUI. It’ DANGEROUS. BUT if some one wants to know that how to login as a root from GUI then follow the instructions.

In Fedora 17 You cannot login as a root from gui. By Default, only Normal users are allowed to login from gui mode.

I Managed to Login as a root from GUI on Fedora 17. Follow these steps and you will able to Login as a root from GUI on Fedora 17

If You want to login as a root from GUI in Fedora 17 then you have to edit something like some files which are located to /etc/pam.d/

Open your Terminal from Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal

Step 1 :- Now Login as a root from your terminal

[fedora17@tejas-barot-ahmedabad-linux]$ su – root
Password:-

Step 2:- Now go to your /etc/pam.d/ directory.

[root@tejas-barot-ahmedabad-linux]# cd /etc/pam.d/

Then first take a backup of gdm file

cp gdm-password gdm-password.bkp ( always take backup if anything goes wrong you can correct it by original file)

Step 3 :- Now Open gdm file in your favourite editor. I am using vi as my editor.

[root@ tejas-barot-ahmedabad-linux pam.d]# vi gdm-password

Find line auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

And change it to ## auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet

Step 4 :- Save & Exit From that File.

Step 6 :- Save & Exit from File. Now Logout and Try to Login as a root user. Now you are able to Login as a root user from GUI in Fedora 17.

Hope guys this helps you. Waiting for your comments and Feedback.

If this works for your then Please Click Google +1 Button and Show Your Support. Your Support will encourage me to write more articles.

All Linux User’s Blog Mobile Applications :- http://www.tejasbarot.com/download-mobile-apps/

Enjoy Fedora 17 :) Enjoy Root Login from GUI :) Enjoy Linux :) Enjoy Open Source :)

Content Protection by DMCA.com

9 Comments »

• […] Howto: Login as a root from GUI on Fedora 17 Beefy Miracle … […]

• Tejas Barot says:

What error you are getting, Try to save it using :wq! if you are doing it as root.

• Sagar says:

hello…

when i open file gdm-password in editor i unable to make changes in that file.

i am tring in root. please help us.

• Quqonlik says:

It worked thanks

• Jeeyan Sanyal says:

Thanks a lot. This really helps a lot. Now I can copy files to the restricted permission folders from the GUI itself. :)

• Lee Cottrell says:

On my installation, the GDM file was not present. I installed from the Live OS. Simply editing the gdm-password file and commenting out the auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet line did the trick.

• Mark Negie says:

Thanks much, just what I wanted; how to do a GUI login on Fedora 17.

• Tejas Barot says:

Hello Ashley,

Thanks for your info and thanks for sharing the way which worked for you,

But I would like to tell you that after receiving your comment i have checked once again and it is working fine. without gdm.

I would request you to test it once again and let me know still if that doesn’t works for you.

• Ashley says:

You have to edit the /ect/pam.d/gdm and /etc/pam.d/gdm-password files by commenting out “auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet” which will look like:”# auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet”.

My system did not have a /etc/pam.d/gdm file so I had to create one by copiying the file from a Fedora 16 installation.

When I only edited the /etc/pam.d/gdm-password file I could login as root from the GUI GDM screem. The desktop loaded slowly and when loged out and tried bto log back into the user account it would not login.

Having both the /etc/pam.d/gdm and /etc/pam.d/gdm-password files edited is necessary. the gdm file is not there create it.